All puppies bite and chew. It is part of the teething process and starts before they even leave the litter. Dogs also nip and bite as part of playing and exploring.
The most common mistake people make with puppy chewing and biting is teaching the puppy to mouth gently and then start telling them they are doing it too hard. Then we try to teach them not to do it anymore and if they do they are punished.
Puppies cannot understand that it is okay to chew and bite when you are a puppy but it is not when you get older. They also do not have any way to gauge the strength of their bites, except by your reaction. You have to train the puppy to do exactly what you want him to do for the rest of his life.
Expert dog trainer, Doggy Dan, from website The Online Dog Trainer, recommends the following to keep your puppy from biting and chewing.
- Make sure your puppy has plenty of chew toys on hand like nylabones, stuffed Kong products, bully sticks even pieces of wood.
- Encourage your puppy not to bite on fingers and clothes
- If your puppy mouths you then redirect them calmly to a more appropriate outlet for their teething like their chew toys.
- If they continue to mouth you place them calmly on the floor and give a little yelp noise to let them know that their sharp teeth can hurt and move away. This lets hem know that if they bite you they may lose their playmate.
- If they continue to mouth you or your clothes take them calmly and quietly and place them into timeout. Put them in their crate or playpen with their chew toy.
I learned this from Doggy Dan’s video website The Online Dog Trainer, which shoe me a great approach to training puppies. You can see the video here. CLICK HERE
While teaching your puppy not to bite or mouth may sound like a lot of work, it is part of the process of understanding your puppy and developing a wonderful, loving relationship with him.
Doggy Dan’s video website has over 250 videos to help you train your puppy in a calm and gentle, yet effective way. He can show you how he raised his puppy, Moses, using his methods.
If you’re interested in training your puppy in a kind and gentle way that will lead to an amazing relationship over time then click here to take a look.
Remember, Doggy Dan gives you a $1 trial of the site for 3 days! To get YOUR access now just CLICK HERE
Need help training your pooch?
Here is a great resource full of video guides that will make it easy. Click here >>